Have you ever had a terrible or difficult experience happen to you? Have you ever had an extremely happy ending to one of those difficult circumstances?
- I remember screaming my prayers to the LORD, "God, only you can save us!" It was a terrible situation. In 1986, Steve was driving a Uhaul truck, in Illinois on interstate 70, headed west. The truck had stalled in a blinding rainstorm. Two cars full of my sister, her husband, 3 of our little ones (ages 1, almost 3, and 5), and me were right behind. It was almost impossible to see. It was a mathematical certainty that we would be hit from behind. Yet, as we all prayed, something surreal happened. It was as if time stood still and a wall of protection was built. Yes! A semi-truck driver had alerted those behind him and they had somehow built a wall of protection behind and around us. The cars began to whiz by and we were spared. All we could do was praise God and scream, "WE'RE SAFE!"
- I recall, as I'm sure many do, back in the spring of 1976, Steve and I were teaching in York, Nebraska when the "blizzard of the century" came through! Our whole town, county, and a big part of the state were left without electricity for a week. The ice had been too heavy for the power lines and poles. Everything came to a standstill. I remember going into a classroom building and dormitory at York College and being shocked at how dark it was. Oh, how great was the shout when the electricity came back on, "THEY'RE ON! THE LIGHTS ARE ON!"
- I wasn't there the day someone very special to us "died on the elevator at the hospital". A hospital representative told the family. Yet, a little while later they came in saying, "HE'S NOT DEAD! HE'S ALIVE!"
I can only imagine the great shouts from the disciples when they knew that Jesus was indeed alive! "HE'S ALIVE!"
That day meant so much to you and me!
- He had died, been crucified, and Satan thought that he had won. Yet, Jesus rose out of the tomb, and He is still with us, works through us, and lives in us! "HE'S ALIVE!"
- Our Savior did it! He accomplished what He came to do...save us! "WE'RE SAFE!"
- The Illuminator of how to lead THE BLESSED LIFE, showed us how to live, die, and rise again. He showed us how to be light to a dark world! "THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD IS ON!"
This week we will begin a discussion on how Jesus is LIGHT and SALT and LIFE through His SAVED people. Please meditate today on the verses that come right after the "Be-attitudes". Jesus is saying that once a person is living the "Be-attitudes", she is plugged in to the power source. She's blessed! She's alive! She's light and salt!
"You are the salt of the earth;
but if the salt has become tasteless,
how will it be made salty again?
It is good for nothing anymore,
except to be thrown out
and trampled under foot by men.
"You are the light of the world.
A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
"Nor do men light a lamp,
and put it under the peck-measure,
but on the lampstand;
and it gives light to all who are in the house.
"Let your light shine before men
in such a way that they may see your good works,
and glorify your Father who is in heaven."