For many here in NJ, summer will be technically over this week as school starts back. For those of you reading this from other places, maybe your schools returned to classes weeks ago. Whatever, the case, let's take a few minutes to reflect over this past summer.
More than several of you have said that this class/blog has helped you focus on having a more spiritual summer. That's because GOD is good all the time! When GOD first convicted my heart for the need to have a "moms class" over the summer it was after several of you here at the Pitman church had voiced the need of a class that would give moms summer parenting ideas. We talked about watching some videos and having various "activities". Yet, as time went along GOD kept putting on my heart that we just needed a class on moms becoming transformed first...moms who would desire to be led by the Spirit of GOD Himself. I chose to listen and in my own feeble way, I have let GOD work through me to help us learn more about how transformation works on a day to day basis. We do our part..1,2,3,and 4...
The top 4 songs in our voting summarize it all:
- We ask the question (sometimes over and over again): WHO AM I?
- A battle rages in our minds, yet we choose to listen to: THE VOICE OF TRUTH!
- We begin seeing "God Stops" / "God's Gold" in each day and we begin saying: I KNOW MY REDEEMER LIVES.
- Then, as we ask again "Who am I?" and listen to "The Voice of Truth" it becomes easier and easier to "Know My Redeemer Lives" all because we can sing: IN CHRIST ALONE.
It's been a great summer for those of us who have participated in the MASTER FULL MOMS CLASS and BLOG! For those of us who were able to join in the richness, may we be blessed as we focus on living it out. For those of you who missed the last class or don't attend the class... I want to share some of our concluding discussion. Under each topic of discussion I have quotes made by different women in last Tuesday morning's class. Since they are paraphrased and not direct quotes, I have not put quotations around each one.
1. THINGS WE GREW MORE IN KNOWLEDGE/UNDERSTANDING OF:
- We got to know each other and our spiritual journeys / struggles better.
- We were able to get a better understanding of God, us, our husbands, our children, each other...
- We especially began to understand more about relationships with our own mothers...forgiving them, viewing them with grace, gaining more understanding of them now that we are mothers....our mothers did better than the generation before...we can learn from our mothers mistakes and let God take control...
2. GEMS OR TREASURES I'VE ADDED TO MY "SPIRITUAL TREASURE CHEST":
- That God loves everyone who we come in contact with every day and we may be the only "light/salt" they have.
- The concept of "pouring it out" seemed to be a huge concept for many...using the first 4 Be-Attitudes as a model to pour ourselves out and let God fill us up and take control.
- Using the statement each day to re-pour myself out: "My name is ___________and I am critical and controlling." "My name is _____________ and I am bossy and opinionated." "My name is ___________ and I am whiney and melancholy."
- Seeing families with a great spiritual heritage and realizing that it is possible for this to happen in my own little family.
- As mothers, we cannot "fix it all"....we are not in control...step out in faith and give God the control of our families...pray...pray...pray...
- God, less of me and more of You...
- Valleys are great for learning from...resting...after all, many valleys are full of lush green grass...if we'll just look around and see...I know because I'm in a big valley right now...
- Much more aware now of the spiritual battle that goes on and the little voices in my head...the voice of the liar? THE VOICE OF TRUTH?
3. "GOD STOPS" DURING THIS SUMMER (Times when God really brings something to our attention in a powerful way):
- one sister was out walking one day in her neighborhood...she walked past a new neighbor, basically avoiding an opportuty to meet her...convicted by an example given in class the previous Tuesday, she circled the block and was able to meet this neighbor and they have been connecting and reconnecting ever since.
- songs or scriptures coming to mind that connect completely with the need for the moment
- God is teaching me as I catch myself more and more "playing the victim -- oh, woe is me..." instead of just taking it to God...
- God is teaching me as I catch myself doing certain things and am now stopping and saying "My name is ____________ and I am pouring out_____________...God fill me up with You..."
- As I have interacted with my mother, I am seeing that it is possible to grow past my own parent in my relationship with God.
- Several are becoming aware of more and more missed opportunities: waitresses, nurses, neighbors....
4. CIRCUMSTANCES IN WHICH I SEE MY SPIRITUAL LIFE CHANGING OR THINGS THAT I HAVE CHANGED IN MY SPIRITUAL LIFE:
- For one sister, this class is changing her from being a "Sunday morning christian" to a christian who wants to "confess Jesus before men so that He will confess her before His Father...".....soooooooo, she's started an on the phone 3 way prayer group in the mornings at 8 a.m. with a two other friends...she's trying to talk about God/Jesus more to others....
- I've been choosing to feed myself more on God's word...
- I am finally realizing that the only one that I can change is me! (For so long I was sure it was everyone else in my life who needed to change).
5. REASONS FOR CONTINUING THIS JOURNEY OF "POURING ME OUT AND FILLING ME UP WITH THE MASTER":
- This is so important for the next generations!
- I am realizing that it is me that sets the tone for my home...I need to keep this up for the sake of my family...
- The more I continue on this journey, the more God can use me as LIGHT and SALT.
6. THE 9 BE-ATTITUDES OF CHRIST'S SERMON ON THE MOUNT TO PUT TO MEMORY -
For some reason or another, I cannot get this chart to post here. It is a chart I put together of these 4 aspects of each BE-ATTITUDE. If you would like a copy please email me your request at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spiritual Attitude
- Resulting Blessing
- Memory Hook
7. SONGS THAT REALLY MINISTERED TO ME AND/OR OTHERS:
8. CONTINUING TO CONNECT ON THE BLOG -
We'll connect our discussions to the following fall classes at the Pitman church of Christ:
TREASURED IN MY HEART: A Sunday morning series of classes led by the elders and preachers wives sharing the treasures of motherhood from their families..
THE PATRIARCHS: This Tuesday morning ladies class is led by our dear sister, friend, and mentor Linda Krinks. This is a Beth Moore study .
HOW GOD DOES FAMILY: A Wednesday night class led by Steve and I on family principles specifically found in Genesis and Ephesians. We have finished the first draft of our book and now are going through and tweaking the chapters.
I'll continue posting - but may miss a few days as I prepare for teaching my 3 classes in the Education Department at Rowan University.
If you were not in last Tuesdays class. I would love for you to share your comments with us here on the blog. How about it?
Thank you dear, sisters!
Because of JESUS, we are family,