- "Forgive God" for allowing difficult circumstances in my life
- Forgive others for their insults, lies, mistreatment, and even for having no clue ("Father forgive them for they know not what they do!")
- Forgive myself of past and present sins
- Lay Aside: (apothemenoi/apotithemi) (Hebrews 12:1-3)
- Forgive: (aphiemi) (Matthew 18:21)
2. FOUR TRUTHS ABOUT FORGIVENESS:
- It's not easy to Lay Aside someone's sin against us.
- Laying Aside other's sin helps keep Satan from getting a foothold in our heart.
- Laying Aside sin of others is a "grace".
- TRUST and FORGIVENESS are NOT the same! FORGIVENESS and FORGETTING are NOT the same! TRUST is earned! FORGIVENESS is given - a decision!
3. PARABLE OF THE UNFORGIVING SERVANT (Matthew 18:23-35)
- God has a forgiving heart!
- We desperately need forgiveness! Bad News: We have all sinned! Good News: Eternal Life is a free gift through Jesus Christ!
- Being unforgiving is unGodly!
- Being unforgiving will damn us!
4. TWO QUESTIONS
- Can I be saved if I am UNFORGIVEN? NO! - see Acts 2:36-40
- Can I be saved if I am UNFORGIVING? NO! - see Matthew 6:14-15
5. HOW DO I FORGIVE?
- Make a decision to forgive!
- Say the words!
- When you forgive, FORGIVE!
- Forgive completely!
- Forgive repeatedly! (Satan will keep tempting you to take back in your hands what you have already chosed to Lay Aside - don't pick it back up again... choose to forgive repeatedly...70 x 7)
LOVE DARE CHALLENGE:
LA 1 - Lay Aside My Sins
(God forgives me! I forgive myself!)
LA 2 - Lay Aside the Sins of Others
(Forgive others completely -
see above 1,2,3,4,5)
In this clip, Caleb is up to Day 43 on the 40 Day Love Dare to love Catherine. Why would he want to go past the required days of daily decision making to do loving deeds for his wife?