Hanging out together...
Sending blessings each others ways...
Doing things as a family...
Spreading GOD'S love in many different ways.
Friday here at Transformed Moms is a time to encourage each other with new and fresh ideas for improving family fellowship within our own little families, within our extended relative families, and within our church families. Come back each week to share ideas that will BLESS other families. So........share with us here AND link us back to your blog if you have more to share there. Please be sure and tell your friends to join us each Friday!
THIS WEEK'S SIKES' FAMILY TRADITION: SING! SING! SING!
Both Steve and my families grew up singing gospel songs, so it was only natural for us to sing with our children, go to concerts together, buy videos, CD's, tapes, etc. of great music and SING! Steve's family had a few that were their family songs that I'd never heard before: BREAD SENT FROM HEAVEN and LED BY THE MASTERS HAND. I can remember sitting in my Granny's living room for hours and singing with my family, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins Stamps-Baxter songs in four part harmony, like: HE BORE IT ALL, LET ME LIVE CLOSE TO THEE, and PARADISE VALLEY.
I couldn't help thinking this week of five different memories that are just a few of the singing memories that I have while raising our children:
1. Singing at night the song: "My best friend, JESUS is my best friend, I am not alone, no I am not alone....My night light, JESUS is MY NIGHT LIGHT, I am not alone..." OR the song, "He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, the wealth of every mine...He owns the caverns and the rocks and rills, the sun and stars that shine. He is your Father and He's mine as well. He is our Father, so let us tell that if He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, I know that HE WILL CARE FOR ME."
2. Tape players beside the kids beds with easy access to Bible stories on tape or Brite Music tapes and books with songs like: "I'm a V.I.P. in my family..." OR "Take a three steps forward and two steps back and you've still made a little progress..." https://www.britemusic.com/default.aspx
3. A special song that went with a special nickname for each of the kids that I could easily break into song and sing to them, like Jessica's was "You are my Special Angel" and Crystal's was "Sugar, Honey, Honey...".
4. Making christian music a priority by listening to it in the car and in the kitchen...going to concerts and meeting the artists-getting to see them as real people with families who have a special ministry. Two of the songs on this weeks playlist are sung by two favorites: Acappella and David Phelps. In fact, GOD even blessed us with being able to have two groups in our home: Acappella and Vocal Union.
5. Devotionals in our home are part of our heritage - singing as a family unit as well as with our extended family and church family. Here are two video clips from this summers Sikes' family reunion where 111 of Steve's extended family were together in the Rocky Mountains.