Jesus begins His Sermon on the Mount with 9 "Be-attitudes" and then some profound statements that follow immediately. Before we go through them, there is one concept that I want you to comprehend...it's foundational:
"Now when He saw the crowds, He went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to Him, and He began to teach them, saying:
1. "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
SELFLESS: I "get" that life is not about me! Being "poor in spirit" takes me "pouring" myself out at Jesus' feet.
2. "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."
SINNER TO SINLESS: I "get" that I need to take sin seriously! I hate it enough to mourn over my sins and the sins of this lost world AND do something about it!
3. "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth."
UNSUBMISSIVE TO SUBMISSIVE: Meek does not mean weak! It means "power under control". Who's in control? Who takes the lead? I "get" that I must TRUST and OBEY and allow the Holy Spirit of God to lead me and guide my life!
4. "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."
UNSATISFIED TO SATISFIED: I "get" that the only thing that truly satisfies is righteousness! How long can I go without spiritual food before my family can tell? My co-workers can tell? Before I am spiritually anoerexic? Spiritual nutrition from the WORD satisfies!
5. "Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy."
EMPATHY, NOT SYMPATHY: I "get" that everyone needs to be honored and understood. To be known is to be loved (warts and all!). Love covers a multitude of sins!
6. "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. "
SPIRITUAL: I need a heart transplant! I "get" that I need the heart of Jesus! Make me holy, for You are holy! What comes out of my mouth comes from the heart.
7. "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."
EXTENDING SALVATION: Reaching out to connect the hands of mankind to the hand of God. Give a cup of water in Jesus name OR how about a bowl of chicken soup OR some turkeys:) (see yesterday's post)! I "get" that I need to reach out to others to help them know where true peace comes from!
8. "Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
SUFFERING SERVANT: "Without testing, there is not testimony!" We are part of the body of Christ, yet often persecution from within destroys like cancer does the physical body. I "get" that I must make it my goal to please God alone!
9. "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."
SMILING, SINGING, SUFFERING, SERVANT SLAVE: What do I do when I am squeezed? I "get" that the stuff that is on the inside of me will come out when I get squeezed: rejoicing, thankfulness, honoring God and others no matter what the circumstances. In 2 Chronicles 20, God told His people to trust, obey, and sing and He would fight the battle! (not trust, obey, and be anxious!)
If you aren't shining,
then get plugged in!!!
(see Be-attitudes 1-9)
The verses following the Be-attitudes:
"You are the salt of the earth.
But if the salt loses its saltiness,
how can it be made salty again?
It is no longer good for anything,
except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
"You are the light of the world.
A city on a hill cannot be hidden.
Neither do people light a lamp and
put it under a bowl.
Instead they put it on its stand,
and it gives light to everyone in the house.
In the same way, let your light shine before men,
that they may see your good deeds
and praise your Father in heaven. "
Are you plugged in to the TRUE POWER SOURCE?
He's powerful! He's the LIGHT OF THE WORLD!
No one will be saved by any other name than His: JESUS!