Yesterday, many of us were blessed to be honored in different ways for our roles as mothers. Our lesson, during second service, from Dan Cooper included looking at Jesus' mother Mary and the "difficulties that she faced" and the "resources that she had". Although Mary was chosen by God, she was not perfect and God was still working on her!
We've certainly discussed on this blog the difficult circumstances that God allows us to face. I was honored to have Cristi Schwamb sitting next to me during worship service. Her husband, Tim, had driven up from Virginia to stay with Lauren in Children's Hospital and made it possible for Cristi to join us for Sunday morning services. If you have just recently joined us on this blog, Cristi and Tim's three year old daughter is in the fifth month of waiting for a heart transplant at the Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia - CHOP. You can click on the picture on the right sidebar to find out more.
So, as I sat between Steve and Cristi, Dan led the church in prayer for Lauren and her family. Then, Dan talked about:
1. Difficulties that Mary faced
- A tarnished reputation because she was a "virgin" who was pregnant
- Difficulty of poverty - we know Mary and Joseph offered two doves (considered the sacrifice of the poorest of the poor).
- Difficulty of people's rejection - satan takes things that God designed for good and makes them look bad; he specifically attacks us through our children and his tactics with Mary were no different
- Difficulty in being a single mom for part of the time after Jesus was 12
2. Resources that Mary had
- Strong committment to doing God's will
- Raised an obedient child
- She had a supportive husband
- She had a close friend who encouraged her
Join me today, in re-examining one of yesterday's videoes and the points it stresses. Meditate on it in connection with the points that Dan shared with us about Mary.
VIDEO - Read the nine points of this video before viewing:
- ...that I only need God's approval!
- ...to be a servant so I can love others!
- ...how to learn from God's wisdom!
- ...how to share my struggles with others!
- ...that the last will become first!
- ...by modeling forgiveness so I can learn to forgive!
- ...that my things belong to God!
- ...that God wonderfully made me!
- ...by pointing me toward Christ when no one else will!