It is GOD who BLESSES and TRANSFORMS...

This is a blog for women (not just moms) who:

(1) Desire to be transformed by JESUS' LOVE, HOLINESS, AND GRACE;

(2) Believe that GOD'S WORD is the true Spirit food for HIS HOLY SPIRIT who lives within us;

(3) Submit to GOD and walk this journey of life with HIM transforming us more and more into HIS likeness.

It's a blog about the POWER OF TRANSFORMED LIVES. Let's begin with yours and mine and pass it on... 1 + 1 + 1...

Since GOD's HOLY SPIRIT lives inside a christian, let's choose to be nurtured and transformed by feasting daily on HOLY SPIRIT food - GOD's WORD - The Holy Bible..

My regular posts stopped in 2013, with a major move and the chronic illness and eventual death of our oldest daughter. Yes, we grieve daily, yet I am determined to continue to let the LIGHT of my LORD and SAVIOR shine through me. I have tried to start posting again, over the last few years, but have not been consistent. So, I think the biggest blessing for you and me both will be to intersperse some new posts while revisiting some of the former posts. Let's begin with "Oh, the JOY!" as we head into living through Fall 2019; meeting back here 1-2 days a week.

If you need daily encouragement, you will find plenty by clicky on past posts. When reading earlier posts, you will see that I often posted daily, following this format: ...Sunday in the SON, Meditation Monday, GratiTuesday, Women in the WORD Wednesday, Transforming Thursday, Family Fellowship Friday, Ketchup & Mustard Saturday.


There's a whole lot here! Take your time to browse.

Please come back and visit each week. Welcome!

Because of JESUS, we can be family,

Patti





TRANSFORMED MOMS:MOMS TRANSFORMED

Romans 12:1-2 "Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

NO MORE NIGHT: MEN OF STEEL AND VELVET SHINE LIGHT


I am so grateful for men who follow in the footsteps of JESUS...men of "steel and velvet". These men shine LIGHT along their journey as they head for the land of NO MORE NIGHT.
.
What do the words "steel and velvet" look like in a man?
.

Abraham Lincoln had these words used to describe him as he led our country. Men who are made of "steel and velvet" are certainly men who live out Jesus' be-attitudes of His Sermon on the Mount. A man of "steel and velvet" is a man who is...

  • Strong and courageous, yet poor in spirit enough to confess his fears, weaknesses, and sin. He is a HUMBLE MAN.
  • Strong to endure when the going gets tough, yet he cries over hurts and the sins of himself and others. He is a TENDERHEARTED MAN.

  • A Strong leader of his family, yet gentle enough to be led by the hand of God. He is a GODLY GENTLEMAN

  • Strong with moral courage, yet continually hungers and thirsts for righteousness. He is a SEEKER AFTER GOD'S OWN HEART.

  • Strong working, responsible with his hands, as he provides for his family, yet he is known for his compassionate hands. He is a MERCIFUL MAN.

  • Strong and passionate for good causes, yet when it comes to passions of the heart, he is PURE IN HEART.

  • A Strong and decisive problem solver, yet a man who knows the only answers to life's problems start with making peace with His maker...he is known as a PEACEMAKER.

  • Strong enough to stand his ground and be unbendable for God's ways which may lead him to be persecuted for righteousness sake. He is a man PERSECUTED FOR RIGHTEOUSENESS.

    Here are a few men or stories of men who I would like to honor today. Men of "steel and velvet" who shine LIGHT into a dark world and have positively impacted my spiritual walk:

1. Although I do not know THE KENDRICK BROTHERS, I know their work. Their 3 movies tell stories of the making of men of "steel and velvet" - movies that teach, in part, about the christian walk. If you haven't seen the movies, two are on DVD and one is in the movie theaters now:




2. David Phelps and his preaching ministry in song. Here is David signing a CD for me in 2004. Listen to his music videos above and be BLESSED.



3. The elders and preachers of the Pitman church of Christ who truly lead like shepherds. Men of "steel and velvet".








4. The most important in my life and spiritual journey are my husband, Steve, and our two sons Jordan and Caleb who have each modeled JESUS to me by being LIGHT and SALT as they seek to live out the "be-attitudes of Christ"...





Here is Jordan with his wife Jacqueline.
They are expecting our first grandchild in April.
Progress is chronicled on their blog.

Here is Caleb and his new wife Krista

on the weekend of their wedding 7-7-07.

.

What about your man/men of "steel and velvet"?
Leave a comment about him/them, so we can be encouraged!
.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh Patti, last night as I was lying in bed, not sure of what to write for Gratituesday, I came up with writing about my gratitude for our elders and preachers. This morning the Lord sent me in another direction. After I posted I came to your site and look what I found!

I'm glad you wrote about the men who are the true heroes of our time! I love and respect them all, and I'm grateful for their example to my husband and our four sons.

Thanks for writing about them.

Andrea said...

My man of steel and velvet deserved a seperate comment. He is a true man of steel working on a steel horse- a boat. He's is a man of velvet in his love for the Lord, and the boys and I. He never lets a time go by without saying "I love you", "I appreciate you", "thanks for helping me become the man I am today." Okay, so now I really miss him and need one of his great hugs.

I love that he's rough and gentle. A true man of steel and velvet.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Patti! Your blog just touched me so much this morning... My sweet man of steel and velvet is such a treasure to me and our children. More importantly, he's a treasure in the Kingdom of God. He never stops striving for the way to Jesus and he always, always, always puts others before himself. He is often tough, really intense and sometimes his corners are a bit sharp, but he is, most of all funny, warm and God-centered. Oh! I Love that man of mine! Thank you, Jesus!

Laura said...

I am so thankful for my "man of steel" and that he chose to marry me. And, I'm grateful for the opportunity to raise up four more men of steel with God's help.

Annette said...

My man of steel stands strong in his commitment to be the spiritual leader of our family. He stands strong in his commitment to be an honorable man out in the business world of the not so honorable. He stands strong in his commitment to safeguard the financial interests of our congregation. He is strong enough to hold me up in my weak moments, and strong enough to support me in all my endeavors, and strong enough to stop me from being my own worst enemy!

But my man's steel frame is covered in velvet! He's been known to stop and help one of our senior saints put on her gloves in cold weather. He's gone into work late in order to take his daughter to breakfast on mornings of a school delayed opening. He's carried crying babies from the nursery as he's walked around the church building counting the attendance. He's arranged to send his distraught and overburdened wife,(me) on a 3 day escape to the shore, all by herself! He still brings me flowers on a regular basis. He still takes time to play ping-pong with our son when he's home from college. He thanks me, respects me, and treats me like I'm the daughter of the King!

Unknown said...

My man is awesome! He is emotionally strong for me when my emotions are weak, yet he sheds a tear when families get new homes on "Extreme Home Makeover" on TV. He is touched by matters of the heart and the Spirit.
He stands firm in his integrity and honesty in his business (and elsewhere!).
He gives strength as a leader in our church family and in our own family.
He is a peacekeeper.
He's a mushy Grandpa.
He is a loving Dad & husband!
He is an example of a Spirit led man.
He is so good!
He is fun and witty.
He is up for adventures yet proper and reserved.
He is my strength AND my soft place to fall!!!!
I am SO VERY THANKFUL to God for Greg!

Brenda Collins said...

My man of steel and velvet is a person to be treasured for the rest of my life. Thank you for this Post. The men in our lives bring Godly compassion and Godly love to those blessed enough to know them. My husband trusts God on every issue. He never struggles with doubt or insecurities. He immediately trusts God for every aspect of our family's life. I am so grateful and humbled that Matthew chose me as his spouse. He is sent straight from GOD!

Kristy said...

I didn't realize that I missed reading this post the other day, but I'm glad I caught it b/c I always like an opportunity to brag on my Shawn.
No one can make me smile more than he can and no one can make me crazier.
He was born to be a father and nothing makes me happier than to sit back and watch him interact with Ayden, Levi, and Toby. He is learning each and every day how to lead us and I am thankful that he understands how important this responsibility is. I love that he doesn't pretend to have all the answers, but is willing to learn from others whom he respects.
He is a great boss...I've seen him in action! I love that even though he doesn't ever have to quote scripture to his employees, he is a walking billboard for Jesus, and they all see a difference...and sometimes they even ask about it!
I love to study the Bible with him...he always has an insight that I never seem to have when I study. He really justs gets it and has a knack for explaining in a way that my feeble mind can wrap itself around.
He is my best friend! I love waking up next to the person that I know without any doubt that God made for me. And that's just cool!

TRANSFORMED MOM, LISA, REQUESTED PRAYERS FOR HER HUBBY: FULLY RESTORED! FULLY HEALED!