I spoke of my mentor and friend this week on GratiTuesday. She was my Granny! Yes, God made us family two ways. First, she was the mother of my mother - my maternal grandmother. Second, she was my big sister in Christ. I saw the Be-attitudes of Jesus in her:
1. She understood who she was in the family of God and humbly submitted to the One who was in control. BLESSED are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
2. She knew of her sinfulness and would say to me that there were things she wished she would have not done or done differently. BLESSED are those who mourn for they will be comforted.
3. She was a strong women who gave the reins of her life to God and let Him lead her and her children in a daily walk with Jesus, even though her husband (my grandfather) chose not to walk that walk during the child raising years. BLESSED are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
4. She wanted to know what was right in God's eyes, so she studied her Bible with the desire to obey what she learned. BLESSED are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.
5. She had the reputation as the "chicken soup lady" who adopted her neighborhood as her responsibility. When families were sick or had challenges, she'd show up at their door to help AND bring with her a pot of chicken soup. BLESSED are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
6. She had intentions that were pure, yet she oftened rubbed people the wrong way. She was known for "telling it like she saw it". She often saw a situation as black and white or right and wrong. God knew her heart. BLESSED are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
7. She desired for all mankind to make peace with their God. Her life was lived in such a way that neighbors became christians as well as her husband (after she had raised 3 kids in the LORD and had grandchildren). BLESSED are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God.