Yesterday was a little different after our morning services. People stood around and talked about the sermon. There were tears... there were words like "I have never thought of this before"...
As our congregation reads through the Bible in a year, Steve's lesson was steeped in where some of the reading had been this past week: Ecclesiastes. Ecclesiastes and it's talk about the meaninglessness of life was a difficult read for him. Our family has been through some very tough roads over the years and last week was one of those. Yet, God took Steve on a journey that would be right where he needed to be... to use it to meet the needs of our church family yesterday.
God does that! He meets needs! He challenges and convicts! His Word is alive and active. When we read it, stand in it, soak it up, and let it work, we are forever changed.
Although I cannot do Steve's lesson justice, here is my summary:
Ecclesiastes 1:14 -
- "All things are meaningless and a chasing after the wind..."
ARE YOU A WIND CHASER? (A wind chaser is someone who trusts in anything other than God).
- Do you chase after pleasure? Eccl. 2:1
- Do you chase after laughter? Eccl. 2:2
- Do you chase after wine or any addictive substance? Eccl. 2:3
- Do you chase after work, projects, or things you can make with your hands? Eccl. 2:4-6
- Do you chase after possessions... (ownership)? Eccl. 2:7
- Do you chase after music, money, or sex? Eccl. 2:8
- Do you chase after accomplishments or personal gain? Eccl. 2:9
- Do you chase after relationships? 1 Kings 11:1-10
RESULT: Solomon hated life because wind chasing does not satisfy!
LIFE CHANGING CONCEPTS:
It is dangerous when a person
begins to look at God
through the glasses (lens) of life.
We must look at life
through the glasses (lens) of God.
- Do you actively seek God? Matthew 6:33-34
- Do you find God? Acts 17:24-31
- Do you fear God? (fearing God includes pursuing holiness)
- Do you obey God? Eccl. 12:13
- Do you love God? Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Mark 12:30-31
- Do you pant for God? Psalms 42:1-2
- Do you intimately pursue God? Psalms 42:1-2
But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness,