Our memory verses for the month tell us that God's word is many things. Yesterday's post was an activity in putting the verses and their powerful words to memory. Today, let's look at the value of God's Word in our life for HEALTH and HAPPINESS. It is transforming!.
- Living - The Bible has been referred to as God's manual for life. For christians who have God's Spirit living inside of us... it is Spirit food... it is The Bread of Life... it is Living Bread.... I understand the concept of bread a little better now by the kind of bread our family now eats. We have learned that eating too much bread is not good for us unless we eat "living bread" or "sprouted bread". That is why we eat Ezekiel bread which is made from sprouts. It makes us feel so much better than if we're eating that other stuff. It's definitely kinder to our bodies. In a similar way the true and living bread, God's Word, brings Life to us!
- Active - Ezekiel bread is the nourishment or fuel that my body needs to keep me going. The Word of God fulfills that same role within our souls and spirits.
- Penetrates - Ezekiel bread gets down into the cell level of our bodies to bring nourishment. The Word of God is designed to work on us down in our spiritual DNA.
- Divides - Much like a skilled surgeon who goes into the body to cut for the purpose of healing, the Word of God seperates the good from the bad inside of us as it works on healing our souls and spirits.
- Judges - We see that the Word of God feeds and nourishes us as well as doing spiritual surgery on us. Yet, that is not all it does. It is able to determine WHAT ARE THE THOUGHTS AND ATTITUDES OF OUR HEARTS? The Word of God discerns whether we are having "heart trouble" or not. How's our post surgery regime coming? Have we followed doctors orders to lead our lives the way He planned? His Word can help make that determination.
As we look at these 5 words from Hebrews 4:12, let's stop and look a little more at the phrase:
- "...it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart..."
The Word of God is to our souls and spirits like the mirror we look in every morning is to our physical bodies. The mirror helps us see if we get our hair straight. It makes sure we don't have tootpaste on our face. It aids us in checking out that new outfit and if it is going to work for today.
The Word of God checks our spiritual hearts. It gives us a reality check of how well we've been following the manual for a healthy and happy spiritual life. Oh, and that brings me back to the Sermon on the Mount and the Be-attitudes. The Word of God (The Bible) records the words of the Word of God (Jesus) on how we are to live this healthy and happy christian life in Matthew 5, 6, and 7. We've been discussing them over the past two weeks. Here are all nine:
- Happy is the one who is poor in spirit...
- Happy is the one who mourns...
- Happy is the one who is meek...
- Happy is the one who hungers and thirsts for righteousness...
- Happy is the one who is merciful...
- Happy is the one who is pure in heart...
- Happy is the one who is a peacemanker...
- Happy is the one who is persecuted for righteousness sake...
- Happy is the one who rejoices no matter what...
Be careful!!! Don't look at this as another list of to do's! Another job! The thoughts and attitudes of your heart, even about scripture are so important. You've now looked in the mirror. Now ask God to help you fix it!
Start today with new thoughts and attitudes about letting the Word of God speak to you. As you head into your day, think about it this way... you have two choices... you can be like the vulture or you can be like a hummingbird... they both live in the same desert... yet they go about their lives totally opposite...
- Vultures see decaying and rotting meat because that is what they are looking for
- Hummingbirds ignore the putrid flesh of dead animals and look for sweet nectar in the flowers of cacti
- Vultures live on what was
- Hummingbirds live on what is
- Both birds find what they seek.
Are you HEALTHY?
Are you HAPPY?
Are you a HUMMINGBIRD?